The property dates from about 1834 and it is constructed of red sandstone beneath a thatched roof and with a rounded wing at one end, where the thatched roof is brought down over a verandah on posts. From this end of the house there are some particularly fine views south and east across open countryside to the sea. There is a castellated single-storey extension believed to date from the 1950’s which expanded the kitchen and which has also provided for a shower room and utility room (to which an attractive conservatory has been added).
The accommodation is arranged over several levels and is full of charm and character. Three rooms at the eastern end are circular and there is a fine library with direct access to the gardens.
The gardens are a particular feature and they include attractive terraced lawns, winding gravel pathways, a host of mature trees and shrubs (including rhododendrons and a delightful rose garden) and at the lowest part of the gardens, which adjoin woodland, there is a pond.
The detached annexe provides useful occasional accommodation or studio/workshop space, and includes its own part-covered verandah with fine views. There are excellent parking and garaging facilities, plus a vegetable plot.