The firm was founded before 1748 by JH Drew who started the business as a livestock auctioneer as a side-line to his farming activities in the Exe valley.
The firm remained in the ownership of the Drew family up to the Second World War, developing a reputation as one of the premier firms of Land Agents in the Westcountry. In the course of this work, the firm advised on or managed many of the landed estates in the region.
While continuing the tradition of rural management the scope of the firm’s work grew through the 1960’s and 70’s with a particular emphasis on building surveying and development advice as the urban areas of the region expanded. A merger with a London firm in the 1970’s brought further expertise and geographical spread to the firm.